5 Tips to Jump Start Your Sobriety
Enjoy every moment of your sobriety and the happiness that a drug-free lifestyle brings each and every day. If you’ve recently discovered the world of recovery, you know how difficult it can be to maintain your sobriety for the long-term. We’ve put together a list of the top 5 tips that can jump start your sobriety to the next level. We understand the delicate balance that is needed between your recovery and real-world responsibilities. Let’s explore what you can do to grow your recovery and avoid relapse while enjoying yourself to the fullest.
Explore the World of Sobriety
- Find a hobby – for many of us, drugs and alcohol were our hobbies and a daily job, we were preoccupied with the next high at any cost, regardless of the consequences. Many of us forget that there is a world to discover that is drug-free and engaging. Finding a sober hobby that brings enjoyment and fulfillment into your life will keep you occupied as you stay clean and sober. Whether it’s reading literature, watching or playing sports, or something as simple as gardening, both males and females can find activities that enrich your recovery that allow spiritual growth along with physical wellness.
- Twelve Step Fellowship – becoming involved in your local twelve-step fellowship such as Narcotics Anonymous or Alcoholics Anonymous is a great way to jump start your sobriety. Doing service work and giving back to those that are less fortunate or still in active addiction will build character and empower your recovery. Involvement in twelve-step fellowship will surely build your sober network of support and create new friendships!
- Gainful employment – many people that enter the world of recovery are often unemployed because of how unmanageable your life becomes because of addiction and substance abuse. By getting a job after you’ve become clean and sober, it is a great way to boost your self-worth while being productive as a functional member of society. No longer are you lying, cheating, and stealing for your next high—you can receive a paycheck just like everyone else! And trust us…it’s a great feeling!
- Have sober fun – recovery should not simply consist of mundane repetition and white-knuckled sobriety. You should enjoy yourself and enjoy your new life away from drugs and alcohol. There are so many things you can do in recovery that addiction often prevents us from doing. For example, you can save up money and go skydiving…or rock climbing! The possibilities are endless, and a clear mind opens the world for you to explore. It’s time to take your life back from addiction once and for all.
- Create goals – for most people that struggle with substance abuse, drugs and alcohol often create setbacks in our lives. You will learn that once you’re actively recovering, you can set goals for yourself once again and achieve them! By remaining grateful and working hard every day, there will be progress in your life from all directions. Setting a list of goals for yourself to accomplish will be great motivation to stay focused on the tasks ahead.
Now it’s time to implement these great tips into your life and jump start your sobriety! If you or a loved one are in active addiction, these tips can be implemented once you’ve detoxed and received care from substance abuse professionals.
About Long Island Interventions
We’ve helped countless individuals and families that are affected by drug addiction and alcoholism across the New York area. Many people who develop a substance use disorder find it very difficult to stop using without professional help. Long Island Interventions provides an opportunity for those struggling with substance abuse to recover safely. We believe in solution-focused and evidence-based drug treatment programs, and our recovery advocates have decades of combined experience.